What to Do After Creating a Company?| Nava Wilson

Articles & Resources

What to do after creating a company?

Once the corporation is incorporated, there are several things to do before the corporation can begin carrying on business:

  • Extra-provincial registrations. If the corporation is incorporated under the CBCA (Canada Business Corporations Act), it needs to obtain any necessary extra-provincial licence or registration. You need to check the specific requirements of each province and territory. For example, Ontario and Québec do not require a CBCA corporation to obtain an extra-provincial license.

    Obtaining an extra-provincial license typically involves:

    • except where the corporation is federal, checking the name availability of the corporation in the province or territory;
    • preparing and filing any necessary documents, often called an application for extra-provincial registration;
    • payment of fees.
  • Apply for a business number (and income tax, payroll remittances and harmonized sales tax (HST) or goods and services tax (GST) numbers) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). A corporation can apply for a business number on the CRA's website. Check with CRA if you need one as not all businesses require one!
  • Apply for any licences or permits the corporation needs to carry on its business. Some cities or provinces where you operate will require this before you can start operating!

If you need help with your corporation – give us a call, we can help!